Saturday, June 8, 2013

FNWF and a busy week

On Friday my neighbour rang me just before lunch and said "Are you busy this afternoon?".
I expected she needed someone to mind the kids while she fitted something in. She has 4 young children so I try to help out in tight spots. I was quite excited when she asked me to make a red riding hood cape for her daughter who was off to Guide camp after school. It took me an hour and a half.
From this:


To this:


My official Friday night sewing was some cross stitch. It is a round Christmas decoration with three lovely bells. I am doing it on 16 count aida. I am linking up with FNWF over at Gone Stitchin with Cheryll. There are lots signed up. I will be visiting as many as possible this weekend.


I have been busy making all sorts of things. I found a pattern for knitted slipper socks out of thick wool. I have already worn them and washed them. They are very snug over normal thin socks. If you sign up to Ravelry for free there are lots of free patterns to knit and crochet. The slipper socks are here http://www.ravelry.com/designers/yuko-nakamura


I also tried out a new crochet stitch called lover's knot and made a little scarf to wear with my slippers.


I should have posted my Country Cottage Quilting SAL on Thursday. I had the Hollyhock needle book finished. Here it is.


Because the cover turned out a bit crooked I tried again with a new stitchery but the same book cover design. I love the new free stitcheries from Red Brolly.

I changed the insides quite a bit. I used some applique elements from Some Kind of Wonderful and a purse clasp magnet for the scissors.


Several times I have linked up with Applique Thursday at A Quilting Reader's Garden. Last week Angie offered a book as a give away for those who linked up. I am thrilled to say I won a book on making patchwork landscapes. Thanks Angie.
I suggest you have a look at her blog A Quilting Reader's Garden. She has a hexie Friday too.

I have been trying to avoid knitting dish cloths. You all know why :D
They are extremely addictive.
I have collected some patterns in Pinterest and I bought the Sugar and Cream cotton yarn online at Yarn Over. Yarn Over is based in Brisbane. I worked out that buying about 8 balls from them is a similar price as 8 balls from the US.
I knitted a big one and tried using it but it is just too bulky so I have made several 5 inch ones. I think I will have to have a new one for each day because they take so long to dry. I don't fancy using a cloth that has sat damp for a day. I also found that the dark wine colour ran. I will stick to light colours now.


I cut up some Audra's Iris Garden and Avalon to make 2 1/2 inch squares for Nanna's Farm.


I bought a lovely new book about Amish gardening. It is a lovely look at the life of several families in the garden through the year. I love it. The photos are beautiful.



It is starting to get very wintery here lately. I am thinking I will have to try some baking. Nice puddingy things. Perhaps I will make some things to take to the quilting group. At least that way I don't feel obligated to eat them all.


If you are not ready for Google+ you can comment from my Facebook or Flickr.

Val Spiers on Facebook

Val Spiers on Flickr

Happy Quilting,
Val
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...