Friday, April 4, 2014

Thrifty Choc Chip cookies


DH likes the gluten free choc chip cookies we can get from Aldi. I don't like them all that much so I make raisin and oat cookies. Trouble is DH likes them too. Anyway, I was mooching around for a biscuit today and pulled out the biscuit recipe I had with no egg. I made them up with the Aldi gluten free SR flour and they were great.


When I came to write out the recipe for this blog post I realised that I had used 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup marge by mistake. It actually read 1/2 cup marge but we didn’t even notice except that I had to add a couple of tblsp of water to make it sticky enough. The quality of the cookie was perfect. So now they are low cost and low fat:)


A packet of 9 cookies from Aldi is $3. We worked out that the 10 cookies I made of quite decent size cost us less than half that to make.
I purchased dairy free marg for next time. I found it in Woolworths.


Here is the recipe for 10-12 cookies
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 cup SR flour
  • 2 tblsp cocoa powder
  • about 2tblsp water
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped nuts or choc bits

Cream together butter and sugar. Mix in flour, salt and chocolate powder. Add nuts or choc bits and beat until combined. I am intolerant to dairy so I like to use dairy free margarine but I can handle regular choc chips. Arrange spoonfuls of mix onto greased tray. Press with fork and bake for 10 - 15 mins at 190 degrees C or 375 degrees F. I cooked mine for 12 mins.

Aldi had some caramel bits in stock the other day so our cookies have both caramel and choc chips.
Here are the two survivors on a side plate.


Felt a bit sorry for the cat tonight. Here he is looking at me as though to say 'Mum, there are roos on my lawn!' The ones at our old place never came this close.



Happy Cooking,
Val
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...